Comments on Oasis

Taken from a Facebook comment thread...

I do like Liam, a lot. He's clearly very insecure, and to cover this up he feels as though he must shout louder than everyone else, and act the hardman. I forgive him for all this though - he was the front face of the biggest band in the world for a number of years in the '90s, and I think that's enough to turn anyone a bit wonky. Furthermore and more importantly Russ, I think that it is his voice which makes the Oasis sound: on the first two albums (the only albums I like), Liam sings with a tenderness, nuance and sadness that belies a far greater emotional range than what he gives off in his interviews. He's a gem to me, and the fact that a guy off a council estate in Burnage who spent his youth knicking bikes and shoplifting can sing the words to Live Forever and Up In the Sky in the way Liam does, for me says all that ever needs to be said about how great a thing art is.


Also, Noel. I love the man as equally to Liam but I do think he can come across as arrogant and a bit up his own hole these days. He seems to have morphed from an everyman poet into a corporate bore. I suppose eventually, this is the natural path of progression for anyone who manages to write incredible songs and make a living off them so again, I don't blame him. Do think his solo act is awful though, and since the very start of the Oasis project he has appeared completely oblivious to what, in my eyes, made Oasis so special - their collective soul. The sacking of Tony McCarroll and the departures of Bonehead/Guigsy I think showed how little Noel cared for the guys who grafted for years to help Oasis become the band they became - and I've seen interviews with McCarroll where he talks of how Noel still blanks him if their paths cross to this day.
 
 
Would prefer it myself if they didn't reform. Liam is obviously itching for it - think he knows more than anyone how useless he is without the others. But some things are better left where they were I feel - and the longer the Roses reunion goes on, with each new batch of 'mega gigs' they announce at £70 a pop, makes me think that a reunion of a band like Oasis will only be done in the interests of the wrong people anyway
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miliband the sycophant, yet again

How Do You Sleep - Stone Roses (1994)

History repeats itself; first as tragedy, second as farce